Michael Augello, Ph.D. was named as a recipient of the Prostate Cancer Foundation's 2017 Young Investigator Awards. Dr. Augello is a post-doc working with Dr. Christopher Barbieri in Urology at Weill Cornell Medicine. Learn more here about prostate cancer research at Weill Cornell Medicine.
Prostate Cancer Foundation Announces 2017 Young Investigator Awards Recipients
19 Young Investigators Will Receive a Total of $3.6 Million to Fund the Critical Research Needed to Defeat Prostate Cancer
SANTA MONICA, CA, July 10, 2017 -- The Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF) today announced its 2017 Young Investigator (YI) Awards, which support early career scientists who are focused on accelerating the delivery of life-extending and life-saving therapies for men living with prostate cancer.
The YI Awards provide three years of funding – a total of $3.6 million in 2017 – to future research leaders who are dedicated to driving the critical research needed to ultimately defeat prostate cancer. Since 2007, PCF has invested over $47 million to support 223 young investigators.
“Over the years, YI Awardees’ research has led to advancements in new treatments and vastly improved our understanding of precision medicine, bringing us closer than ever to a cure,” said Howard Soule, PhD, chief science officer and executive vice president of PCF. “We are proud to support this year’s young investigators who are leading projects that will continue to help accelerate the breakthrough discoveries needed to not only further advance therapies, but ultimately defeat prostate cancer once and for all.”
The 2017 YI Awardees were selected from a pool of 123 applications from 75 institutions in 12 countries. As part of the YI program, awardees must be within six years of completing professional scientific training programs and be under the guidance of least one mentor. Each award is matched dollar-for-dollar by the investigator’s institution.
The following 19 investigators were selected to receive 2017 Young Investigator Awards:
- Sarah Amend, PhD – Johns Hopkins University
- Michael Augello, PhD – Weill Cornell Medicine
- Maria Carlo, MD – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Elena Castro, MD – Spanish National Cancer Research Centre
- Michael Cheng, MD – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Robert Flavell, MD – University of California, San Francisco
- Stephanie Harmon, PhD – National Cancer Institute
- Stefanie Hectors, PhD – Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital
- Thomas Hope, MD – University of California, San Francisco
- Wouter Karthaus, PhD – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Fatima Karzai, MD – National Cancer Institute
- Ping Mu, PhD – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Nicholas Nickols, MD, PhD – University of California, Los Angeles
- Yashar Niknafs, PhD – University of Michigan
- Mark Preston, MD – Harvard: Brigham and Women's Hospital
- David Quigley, PhD – University of California, San Francisco
- Konrad Stopsack, MD – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- David VanderWeele, MD, PhD – National Cancer Institute
- Di Zhao, PhD – The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Learn more about the Prostate Cancer Foundation here.